3.20.2011

postage stamp quilt - done!

Today was simply a wonderful day. 

It started off with a beyond-words awesome morning at church and then a trip to grandma's to deliver her quilt.

At church, today was "Change for Change" day.  To make a long story short, about six weeks ago our leaders challenged us to collect our change and bring it to a special service today.  The change collected will be used to help build an exercise room for one of our teenagers with Muscular Dystrophy.  Collection time started with preschoolers ("...and a little child shall lead them...") and finished with the adults.  Holy-smokes, Batman.  I really think I got a little taste of heaven today.

After lunch, my mom picked me up and we headed up to Grandma's.  As you may remember from this post, shortly after I finished the top of my postage-stamp quilt, I decided that she was going to be the recipient.  She has been really struggling lately with vertebral fractures and in a lot of pain.  Simple, daily activities were becoming very difficult for her,  including just getting out of bed.

The immediate solution that my mom and aunts had was to set her up with a hospital bed.  She's been in it for a few weeks now and it seems to be helping; her pain is much more under control now.  But, with that said, let's face it - a hospital bed is far from pretty.  So, bring in the quilt!!

For the past several weeks, I've been sewing like mad on this thing...trying to get it finished by spring.  My mom and I got to deliver it today, the first day of Spring.  How wonderful is that?!

Here is how it looks all finished, bound, washed, and crinkly....





And here's the label I made - inspired by Rachel's tutorial, except I printed mine out on fabric paper instead of writing the whole thing.  (Of course, I'm starting to worry that Rachel may think I'm a stalker at this point.) 

IMG_1996


Mom did not tell Grandma that I was coming with her today, or that I had been making the quilt.  So, in a way it was a double surprise for her.  Mom told her she found a blanket for her bed, so it took a bit to sink in that I had made the quilt.  She loved it.  It fits her bed perfectly and makes the room feel so "springy".

Of course, I couldn't get away without a picture with her.  Isn't she beautiful?

5543918123_9439344a1d_b

Would you even believe me if I told you she's pushing 90?  That's right.  She'll be 87 this fall.  She's quite amazing - and I hope I look like that when I'm her age!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Angie! And what a sweet story! I know.... no smart-alec comments from me this time... you hardly recognize me, right? But I can't seem to pick on you for this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    Beautiful women and beautiful quilt! You've got some great genes there, my dear. Wonderful job :)
    JEA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful and such a sweet memory for you three. It brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 Thessalonians 1:8 "Your life is echoing the Master's Word....The news of your faith in God is out. We don't even have to say anything anymore -......YOU're the message!"
    What a sweet testimony of the love and respect you have for Mother. Thank you sweet Angie for that quilt of love. Can't wait to get to N.C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cuz, you are so thoughtful and loving.
    Thank you for doing this for Grandmother and sharing this fantastic story.
    Love you.
    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful picture of you & your Grandmother!
    God Bless Her - she looks fabulous!

    Just LOVE your postage stamp quilt it turned out truly GORGEOUS! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete