3.24.2011

twitter B

A month or so ago, I stumbled across a darling blog called "All Things Fabulous" by Jenni20 Designs. The post that caught my eye?   She was starting a Twitter Quilting Bee. Twitter?..and quilting?? I admit, I was curious.



Her reasoning was simple - our quilty ancestors would get together from time to time and quilt. One part  helping each other out, the other part pure social. She had a great point. I had a twitter account long ago but quickly abandoned it. This got me thinking, though, and I jumped in.

The requirements were almost effortless: Make a block a month and tweet. I mean, does it get any easier?  Basically, each month one person will send out a fat quarter to the other 11 ladies. The 11 receiving the FQ make a block from it and our stash fabrics, then send it back. And we tweet. I've met some fabulous ladies from all over - including Germany - and it's been fun chatting with them.

And, bonus...we get to keep the leftovers from the fat quarters.  Great stash building and stash using, all at once.  I think I'll term it a stash makeover.  :)

As the organizer, Jenni took the first month. She started us out with a bang, sending out this beautiful piece of fabric:

IMG_1943

I immediately loved it and my mind started racing as soon as I saw it.  After trying out several color and fabric combinations, I ended up with this block:


Jenni had told us she favored the blues and greens, so I tried to stay with those, and the orange just sort-of flowed with the rest.  The block pattern is the Scrappy Hedgerow Block from Oh, Fransson.  This was a real comfort-zone stretcher for me as I hardly ever put my own fabrics together.  I'd venture to say that 95% of my projects are from pre-cut bundles and/or bundles that someone else put together for me.  I've never been comfortable picking out fabrics.  But, I'm learning.

I'll be posting my blocks here as I go, but if you'd like to follow the group, check out our Flickr pool.  There are some very talented ladies here.

I hope Jenni likes her block.  I mailed it out last week and I'm looking forward to the April Fat Quarter.  Of course, I'm already trying to figure out what I want to do for my month, though I have plenty of time.  If I remember right, I'm February 2012.  I guess I get to work on patience, too... LOL!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. You'll be an expert at putting fabrics together & making blocks by the time February rolls around :)
    Round 1 has been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do have a good eye for color :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great block and the colors and fabrics are perfect! Great job! The Twitter B is my first bee and I love knowing that the blocks I'm working on will end up in a quilt that someone will (hopefully) love and will provide them with comfort. Cool way to interact with other quilters!

    ReplyDelete