3.07.2011

hooray

Ok, I admit up front...no pics.

BUT....I finished attaching the binding on grandma's quilt last night!

**and the crowd goes wild**

Ok, so the crowd went wild in my little world.  It's always a major accomplishment for me to get the binding attached.  Mostly because it's the one thing I probably struggle most with.  And, of course, it always happens late at night when I'm tired and not thinking straight.  (Well, as straight-thinking as I can get, at least.)  Matt has helped me more times than I care to admit...or probably that he cares to admit.  You know you've got a good man when he'll stop to help you figure out the geometry at o-dark-thirty so you can get to bed without killing someone and/or throwing your machine out the window.   

This time only a couple of snafus - first, I misjudged the length needed.  I've never claimed to be good at math, and this just proves it.  I tried to add in my head.   Yeah.... big mistake.  I really need to get a calculator for my sewing space.

Anyway, I had to add on a little extra at the end.  Then, I mis-cut the extra when attaching and ended up cutting too short.  (Insert mild expletive.)   So, I pulled out the last section, replaced it with a longer one, and cut correctly.  A few more minutes and it was connected, attached and ready to go - without further expletives!  (hooray!!!!!).  Goal for the next quilt?  No cussing.  Can I do it, can I do it??  This was the most successful binding process to date, so I'm almost afraid to wish for more.  

Incidentally, if you haven't gone through the binding tutorials over at Jaybird Quilts, you need to take a look.  She recently added a video to the already fabulous posts.  So very wonderful. 

The hand-stitching still looms on the horizon, but I know I can have it done this week.  In fact, I consider it the easy part.  :-)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment