2.14.2011

glasses case

At my last visit to the eye doctor, I was hit square in the face with a harsh reality.

Bifocals.
When she first mentioned them, I laughed and told her I was fine, and that I would at least like to turn 40 before I broke down and got the darn things. She agreed and had me read some small text with and without the magnification. My heart sank as the truth stared me right in the face - I could read better with them. *sigh*

While waiting for the glasses to come in, I went ahead and got some readers to wear when I have in my contacts. The eyeglass cases were averaging about $20 - which is about what I paid for the readers themselves! The cheapie in me said, "I can do that and make it exactly how I want it." 

I got home and searched for some tutorials, but never really found one I loved, so I made note of some tips from a couple of blogs and then did my own thing.  Here's the result...

IMG_1806

This fabric was one of those so-beautiful-I-have-no-clue-how-I'll-use-it-but-I'm-gonna-buy-it fabrics.  I found it at a local quilt shop when I was searching for the backing on my girly-girl quilt.  I thought it would be too much for an entire back, but I just had to have it.  I think I bought a whole yard...which is a lot for this fat-quarter girl.  


The inside, which you can't really see, is a scrap of the fabric leftover from the quilt I made my mom.  Her quilt was a ribbon star on the front with a super-soft hydrangea fabric on the back.  It almost has the feel of velvet, but it's not velvet.  Brushed cotton, maybe?  Either way, it was perfect for not scratching my glasses and I always think of her when I see it.

IMG_1804_edited-1

The quilting is simple straight-lines, a little more than a quarter-inch apart.  I used the ever so exact method of making the lines as far apart as the width of my walking foot...LOL.  White cotton thread, maximum stitch length, which is about 4.5 on my machine.  (I admit - I have no clue 4.5 of what, but I'm guessing millimeters.)

So, in summary, no real money spent - everything was from my stash, even the batting - and I have a one-of-a-kind glasses case.  Take that, Walgreens...LOL!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Sassy! I like it! As I told Ash the other day, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the days when I will have more time to do such things. When that time comes, I will be asking for your opinions! :) Great job, Ang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice eyeglass case!
    Really pretty fabric too. I think I would like to try making one of these.

    ReplyDelete