2.17.2011

the view from here

In October, my office moved from a small three-story building to a high rise.  Well, into a "high rise" by North Carolina standards, at least.  I went from a second-floor dreary, dark cubicle (*gag*) to a wonderful, window office on the 21st floor, facing west.  I'm not sure what I'm more excited about...the view or the fact that I now have floor-to-ceiling walls!  (Ah, the little things....).

My office is actually higher than the neighboring building (haha!) and I there is a pair of hawks that will often play in the air currents between the two buildings.  You can also see the Appalachian Mountains in horizon, though they aren't showing up quite as well as I had hoped.  Thanks to a couple of late-afternoon conference calls, I've actually seen some amazing sunsets.  No pics of them, though...sorry.

IMG_1810


Since moving in, I often find myself gazing at the window, watching the activity below.  I'm not in a bustling city, but there is still quite a bit going on.  I hear sirens several times a day and I'm, quite literally, right beside Interstate 40, so the crazy drivers traffic always gives me something fun to watch.  Below you can see our new baseball field right in the center.  Just to the upper right of it is the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center...oy, say that five times fast.  I actually work for them, but my department is off the main campus.

IMG_1812

My favorite view however, is this one, just north of west...

IMG_1811

Yup... I love it.  

For the non locals, this is Pilot Mountain.  If you are lucky enough to have grown up watching The Andy Griffith Show, you'll recognize the name "Mount Pilot".  This is it.  The fictional town of Mayberry was based on a real town called Mt. Airy, which is near Pilot Mountain.  My grandmother lives in King, a city near Mt. Airy, and when we would travel to see her my mom would always make a game out of who saw the mountain first.  I still hear the chant, "I see Pilot Mountain! I see Pilot Mountain!" ringing in my ear.

Right in front of the mountain is Wait Chapel, on the campus of Wake Forest University.  Wake is my alma mater and very dear to my heart.  Pair that with the childhood memories and you've got one awesome view.  I can gaze at it seemingly forever.  

Finally, just to give an idea of the height, I've got one last picture... the view down.  

IMG_1813

Yeah.  I don't get too close to the window...and I certainly don't lean on it.  I wish there was a person down there for scale, but the trees kinda help.

Hope you enjoyed a glimpse into my daytime world!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment