2.12.2011

planning and piecing

Can you guess what this is?


This is the "pattern" I made for Trenton's quilt back.  I'm showing it to you so you can see how easy...although somewhat tedious...planning a quilt can be. Can you see all the eraser marks??  LOL!  You certainly have to be willing to make mistakes when doing this. 

I've started seeing more and more pieced backs lately, and I really like them.  To me, they tend to tie in elements of the front quilt and, in a way, make them reversible.  It is a little more difficult - let's face it, I could have had the back pieces and the darn thing mostly basted in the time it took for me to make this layout - but I think it is worth it.  Given that the back often winds up being visible when it's used, I like the idea of it not being a single fabric.

For this, I plan on using my scraps that were leftover from the rectangles on the front and maybe even mixing in a few of the fabrics from the original bundle that I didn't use.  The one long rectangle in the middle will be chocolate brown, which is also what I'm doing with the binding.  The large areas will be the guitar fabric.   :)

Getting down to the business of cutting now.  I'm not really sure how long this will take me to piece.  I already have the colored squares, as I cut 2-1/2 inch squares out of my scraps as I go.  I am planning on a scrap quilt one day, so I'm cutting ahead of time.  Hopefully I'll have it pieced either today or tomorrow.  As happy as I am that it's getting warmer, I would like to have this done before Spring arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment