5.18.2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Jane's Quilt

It's that time of year, again... Blogger's Quilt Festival!  The time for all of us non-market-goers to have our own little party. 
Amy's Creative Side

When I first posted this quilt last November, I knew I loved it, but I've been completely overwhelmed at the response.  1,183 page hits...the most of any of my quilts by far.  I didn't have it up in time for last fall's Quilt Festival, so I'm posting it for this one.



black and white quilt 1


I made this quilt for my friend, Jane.  She and I met via my best friend Ashley as part of a beach trip years ago and continue to go on the same beach trip and have made many others.  She's a runner, too, and I gave her this quilt during our last half-marathon trip...in beautiful Savannah, Georgia. 

The pattern is Full Swing by Rachel Griffith and I used a black-and-white bundle from Fabricworm with Kona White for the background.  The back is a gorgeous fabric I picked up at a fabric store in Charlotte.  In fact, I bought the backing fabric before I had even picked out the quilt pattern!  You can also see a hint of some black-and white half-square triangles on the back.  The strip is a nod to our much-loved Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and our wonderful beach trips.

Photo from lighthousefriends.com




The quilt is about 50" square and I quilted it myself on a long-arm that I rent at my local quilt shop.  Binding is Kona Black, sewn on by hand.



black and white quilt 2


Photos are at the beach house we rented on Tybee Island, just outside of Savannah.  It was a beautiful house and the town reminded me a lot of the NC Outer Banks.

When I finished taking pictures, I went upstairs to her room and spread it across her bed.  It took her for-ev-er to go upstairs, and I think my friend Lisa and I ended up designing a scheme to get her up there.



black and white quilt 4


To say the least, she loved it.  Hope you do too!
 
Photobucket



33 comments:

  1. lovely quilt! I've been to cape hatteras but just stood underneath, I was too scared to go up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a black and white quilt - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do loe it Angie. It's clean and classic but still manages to be a bit whimsical too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it! great fabric choices! the black and white is so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt. I just love black and white quilts, they are so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! I have a wip quilt in that same pattern -- it's been waiting for me to rip out the old quilting and do it over for a year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah,yes...I remember this quilt. Loved it then and love it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend Jane is one lucky gal. I really love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I think it's the prettiest black and white quilt I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the graphic quality of this one! A real stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love modern twists on traditional patterns!

    Margaret
    http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Black (and white) Beauty! Just so pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its wonderful!! makes me want to run off to my sewing room and pull out my black and white fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always been fascinated by black and white quilts. Yours is so beautiful and inspiring that I am putting one on my to-do list. : ) So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great story and a quilt full of memories! Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the black and white and the the location for your photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I really, really, like this - what a simple concept taken to a stunning level with the monochromatic palatte - well done

    ReplyDelete
  19. very striking I need to collect B and W fabrics
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous quilt! And what a lovely present to give to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your quilt (my entry last fall was black and white supernova one) great story and your friend is lucky to have you. fantastic fabrics! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  22. love black and white...so cool

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm such a huge black and white fan; this quilt makes me smile. though to be honest, my husband was looking through the entries and spotted it even before i did!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. un résultat très moderne superbe

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is a beautiful quilt! love the nod to your fav lighthouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember this wonderful quilt. It's good to see it have another outing :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw for that pattern and dismissed it as ugly. Just goes to show what I know...
    Thanks for reminding me that the right fabric choices make or break the quilt.
    cindy b

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously beautiful - your friend is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I laughed about finding the backing before even the quilt...I have had projects like that! What a wonderful work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nothing better an 2 color quilts. Black and white perfect, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We've been nominated together at the blogger's quilt festival for best photographer. It's such an honour. Your quilt is fantastic, and ypur photos look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Una maravilla de quilt y de fotos.
    Suerte.

    ReplyDelete