3.30.2012

crocheted shawl

My grandma taught me how to crochet when I as about 8 years old, which means I have about 30 years of experience...but saying it that way makes me feel old.   It's been something I've loved for many years, but would phase in and out of projects, mostly making afghans, scarves, and the occasional toboggan.  For some reason, I've always been scared of intricate work.

I decided earlier this year that the time to be "afraid" of stuff like this was over.  O-V-E-R, over.

So, I present to you my first, non-afgan, non-granny-square, non-scarf-or-hat crocheted project.


Finished last night!


The pattern is Gathering Leaves by Lily Go and the yarn is Malabrigo sock. {You can find more details on my ravelry project page.}

I love shawls and have gazed on them wistfully for years.  The thought of warm, soft yarn wrapped around my shoulders is so cozy.  I'm so cold-natured that I keep blankets in my office.  Yes, blankets.  If anyone is going to be cold at a function, it's me.  I hate cold, but hardly get the chance to escape it.  Now you know why I love summer so much.  :)

Although the pattern looks very complex, it's super simple.  Repeating patterns of double crochets and chain stitches.  More than once I beat myself up for not trying it sooner.  Exactly what was I afraid of?  Who knows.  Oh, and it only took about two weeks  - and you know about my overbooked, overstressed schedule already.  Not bad.

I've received comments galore, both online and in real life, and it's just made my day.  I'm so glad I finally jumped in - 30 years later. 

I see many more of these in my future.  :)


12 comments:

  1. It's so pretty, Angie! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely shawl, beautiful work! congrats on your first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! Congratulations on taking the plunge - I'm betting you have many, many more projects like this in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so gorgous!!! I love the color. Maybe I will have to try it out. Crochet scares me, and I have been putting off making a shawl out of this pretty yarn I have. Have a wonderful weekend!
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  5. exquisite! You waited until you were ready!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, Angie! Malabrigo is yummmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Angie! I too have been lusting after a shawl and my daughter who knits has a few, but getting her to make one for me is hard with her schedule. Now I see I can crochet one for myself. I will definitely look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - your new shawl is amazing! So beautiful pattern and a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did an awesome job...it is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful - a really beautiful piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is wonderful.. I loce to learn to crotchet someday.. Now are starting to learn how to knit.l

    ReplyDelete